Author Topic: Car hire  (Read 4270 times)

Offline Phillip

• Supreme Member
  • De cuerdo y loco todos tenemos un poco.
Car hire
« on: January 13, 2019, 16:18. »
Hello all
It's probably well known, but I have only just worked it out.  To save a couple of quid on car hire, ( around 2 hundred in our case, 7 seater), it cheaper to hire a car from Alicante its self and not the airport. Also thinking about it, it will be better to just jump in a taxi, straight to your villa, without having to wait for your car, check it over etc after a long morning with cases and kids in tow etc. Then just get a bus into Alicante the next day at your leisure to pick up car.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 16:24. by Phillip »
Phillip

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
Car hire
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 22:15. »
Were currently in dispute with Goldcar over a recent rental, the usual late night arrival,kids all tired etc. The wife had booked via do you spain months ago a full/full pay at counter. As the driver i paid the lovely man and we went to car park,  the vehicle had seen better days with 14 dents and scratches already marked on sheet with 3 other damages listed ie wing mirror,wheels etc. We duly inspected a black car at 10pm in the dimly lit multi storey, eventually ticking off the damage and
not finding anymore. The next day i looked at the rental agreement and noticed that we were being charged 2.50 a day diesel supplement despite not wanting or requesting one and a further 12.50 for smart return again which wasnt requestedi , i had also paid in pounds thus being charged extra fees despite choosing euros, then i remembered how the smiling assassin had glitched the pin machine so getting me to repeat the payment this time without the option.
As per the rules i have requested a full refund of the overcharges, i dont hold out much hope so will then dispute with visa. Having rented dozens of cars my head spins with the constant fraudulent activities that car rentals in Spain are allowed to get away with despite pressure from the EU to clean up its act.

Offline Phillip

• Supreme Member
Car hire
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 22:56. »
Well this was my thinking, the great thing about GA is you don't need a car to get there. And as we don't really need a car straight away, why do we need the stress of the airport hustle and bustle? We are happy enough just to chill in the villa for the first couple of days anyway. So also saving on rental days. Then once you are chilled out, you can take your time looking over the car etc. However the main point was it was a lot cheaper 🙂. The other points are all a bonus.
Phillip

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
Car hire
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 09:02. »
This is very interesting Philip.  I’ll do a comparison this week. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Casa De Valen Med II

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
Car hire
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 15:39. »
I think car rental is an occupation similar to bankers,estate agents, double glazing, used car sales, where fleecing the customer seems part of the experience. I recall 25 years ago flying into orlando on a virgin fly drive and going to dollar car rental where i was upsold every add on in existence after being given the scare stories of million dollar expenses. my brother an Australian booked a rental via an aussie firm when flying into heathrow recently, on collection the same nonsense was given, insurance is no good,upgrade this, excess waiver that, the same baloney you get at ALC. They are a scourge on society.

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Car hire
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 15:59. »
I tick all the boxes, priority queue, fully inclusive insurance, pick it up full and get a refund on any fuel left in the tank and I end up paying circa €360 for three weeks hire....in all honesty I think it’s a pretty fair deal and gives you a relaxing stress free break.
Always used Record, I’ve always had an email confirming the refund on unused fuel by the time the flight home has landed, I know some people have had issues with them, they’ve always looked after me and for the last four or five years I don’t think I’ve had a car off them with more than 1000 Kms on the clock.
I did spend a few years with insurance4hirecar, or something similar to self insure, but I never felt relaxed.
Like anything else in life you pays your money and takes your choice.

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Stuart159

Car hire
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 17:05. »
Record all day long for me. Over the last 12 years never had a problem, I take the fully inclusive insurance package that includes priority queue, and from clearing passport control to leaving airport 15/20 minutes max. No worries.

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
Car hire
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 08:46. »
Record all day long for me. Over the last 12 years never had a problem, I take the fully inclusive insurance package that includes priority queue, and from clearing passport control to leaving airport 15/20 minutes max. No worries.

As the recent Ryanair thread where i said you get what you pay for, as a customer you have to stick to the company's rules and pay the penalty if yoy dont. We paid €32 euros over xmas for 11 days rental, a ridiculously pitiful amount, but on paying this i expect both parties to adhere to the rules of which there are many. My annoyance is the rental companies attempt at any opportunity to be dishonest, i appreciate they haven't made any money from me but thats there problem.

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Car hire
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 09:29. »
Phillip, with Record if you join their club you accumulate points on your rentals, it results in a 10% discount on your basic rental price going forward.
You also need to play the game....book the vehicle you want, but don’t pay a cent, just reserve it, Record will confirm the booking.
Then keep on checking the price, you’ll be surprised how much it fluctuates by, if it’s cheaper than your original booking simply book the vehicle and cancel the previous booking. I’ve saved a fortune since I started doing that, I’ve even cancelled them and rebooked whist sat in the airport in the UK.
Hope this helps with reducing your costs.

Regards all

John

« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 09:31. by John H »
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Phillip

• Supreme Member
Car hire
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 10:31. »
Thanks John
I was actually just telling the Mrs about this strategy of booking then cancelling as, I remember you mentioning it before. We will give it a go. A seven seater from a decent" hire company at the airport, for two weeks in Aug was coming out a £600. There was cheaper ones but a google search came up with awful reviews....click rent....no chance!
So then enterprise came up from the train station at £400. And Alamo? At £350 but I have not looked into Alamo yet...has anyone used them?
Phillip

Offline Chris C

Car hire
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 11:51. »
I had a Ford Fiesta unlimited mileage for 5 days with Record Go just after the new year (cycled down to airport to collect it on the 2nd Jan) cost me €1.25 full-full. Had my fuel refunded and no issue on return of the car. To be fair the people in the car park you return it to don’t know what you’ve paid for it so I didn’t get the impression they were looking for damage that wasn’t there. I always request an older car anyway. A pleasant young English lad works on desk for them as well. I would always go with Record

Offline Phillip

• Supreme Member
Car hire
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 12:30. »
Did I read that right...€1.25...! You could not get the bus for that... :)
Phillip

Offline Chris C

Car hire
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 13:31. »
See attachment:)

Offline Phillip

• Supreme Member
Car hire
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 22:31. »
Wow that's crazy! I wonder what the thinking is behind letting these cars go so cheap at times! I read a article by Simon Calder, saying we can't moan about the flights going up in the school holiday because that's the time the airlines make money, there probably losing the rest of the year.
Phillip

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Car hire
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 09:14. »
I reckon they are hoping for customers like me Philip, paying an extortionate rate for full cover and priority queue.
I also suppose this good experience will hopefully, in their opinion, go towards securing future bookings.
Long may it continue

Regards all

John