Author Topic: Car hire  (Read 4272 times)

Offline Marinero

Car hire
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2019, 03:12. »
I had a Ford Fiesta unlimited mileage for 5 days with Record Go just after the new year (cycled down to airport to collect it on the 2nd Jan) cost me €1.25 full-full. Had my fuel refunded and no issue on return of the car. To be fair the people in the car park you return it to don’t know what you’ve paid for it so I didn’t get the impression they were looking for damage that wasn’t there. I always request an older car anyway. A pleasant young English lad works on desk for them as well. I would always go with Record

Did they ask for credit card and 1400 euro deposit?
Do you have own insurance?

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
Car hire
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2019, 21:25. »
Just booked 8 days for Feb half term, focus type car full/full fuel with Record for 6 euros. On collection will have to leave a €1400 credit card deposit, and pay around 80 euros for the fuel. I have a annual insurance  policy that covers car hire excess not to be confused with car insurance that the rental company will try and sell. If you cause any damage they will take from your 1400 a set amount as detailed in t&cs, up to the limit. You then claim on your excess insurance to recover the credit card charges. The fuel payment is also refunded. The negatives to all this are you need your wits about you as the rental company will spank you at every opportunity. On our last rental at xmas the vehicle had 14 recorded dents and scratches and 3 other damages listed, try checking a black car at 10pm in a dimly lit multi storey, with the caveat by rental company that once you leave any unlisted damage belongs to you.

Offline Chris C

Car hire
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2019, 22:22. »
I had a Ford Fiesta unlimited mileage for 5 days with Record Go just after the new year (cycled down to airport to collect it on the 2nd Jan) cost me €1.25 full-full. Had my fuel refunded and no issue on return of the car. To be fair the people in the car park you return it to don’t know what you’ve paid for it so I didn’t get the impression they were looking for damage that wasn’t there. I always request an older car anyway. A pleasant young English lad works on desk for them as well. I would always go with Record

Did they ask for credit card and 1400 euro deposit?
Do you have own insurance?

I thought it was 1100 euro. Got my own excess insurance. I always wash and vac the car before I return it and treat it like it my own.

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
Car hire
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2019, 21:37. »
Ive not researched it in any depth but last deposit was 1400 and the next booking in feb is as well, do check your excess insurance because my last policy was 1100 limit. I always give the car a wash and vacuum even got the glue out twice with a dodgy parcel shelf. Whilst no guarantee of a problem free return i always think if the guy sees that the car's been looked after he's less likely to look too hard.

Offline Chris C

Car hire
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2019, 08:29. »
Ive not researched it in any depth but last deposit was 1400 and the next booking in feb is as well, do check your excess insurance because my last policy was 1100 limit. I always give the car a wash and vacuum even got the glue out twice with a dodgy parcel shelf. Whilst no guarantee of a problem free return i always think if the guy sees that the car's been looked after he's less likely to look too hard.

Just checked documents and tried book for March. It is €1,100 deposit. I think Firefly is €900.

I once parked the car up in Santa Pola and some ply sheets that were stacked up fell on the bonnet as I was reversing out. I stupidly carried on and they scratched the bonnet quite badly. I polished them out best I could and expected to get charged - but never did. That was record go.

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
Car hire
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2019, 11:12. »
Just checked documents Goldcar was €1400 image attached and next booking with Record is also  €1400, i tend to use Doyou Spain so maybe thats ththere particular conditions with the rental company. Either way it pays to read the conditions so you know what to expect on collection assume nothing.

Offline Chris C

Car hire
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2019, 23:15. »
Think have just booked cheapest ever?

€0.16 for 3 days in Feb for a Fiesta with Goldcar. Recordgo was €0.85 same so I booked both! Whichever que is shorter I will use haha

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
Car hire
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2019, 23:37. »
Think have just booked cheapest ever?

€0.16 for 3 days in Feb for a Fiesta with Goldcar. Recordgo was €0.85 same so I booked both! Whichever que is shorter I will use haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Casa De Valen Med II

Offline Phillip

• Supreme Member
  • De cuerdo y loco todos tenemos un poco.
Car hire
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2019, 14:17. »
The last time I hired a car when I went to pick it up it was made out of spaghetti. I told wife but she did not believe me. You should of saw her face when I drove pasta  ;)
Phillip

Offline Alicante Holiday Villas

• Galactic Member
Car hire
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2019, 18:31. »
The last time I hired a car when I went to pick it up it was made out of spaghetti. I told wife but she did not believe me. You should of saw her face when I drove pasta  ;)
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
Car hire
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2019, 20:12. »
Two items of interest re Goldcar from the Sunday papers: -

Just 30p to hire a car then — whoops! — I didn’t see the rip-offs coming | The Sunday Times

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/wow-just-30p-to-hire-a-car-then-wallop-i-didn-t-see-the-rip-offs-coming-8bdvkd583?shareToken=8dc1d254da9dba38290550ab3cd5d04a

The Goldcar U-turn: we’ll end rip-offs | The Sunday Times

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-goldcar-u-turn-well-end-rip-offs-055d68t27?shareToken=270cb51587296e653ba7678a9371e186

Video camera's at the ready.

Dave

Offline Chris C

Car hire
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2019, 22:24. »
No problem at all with my record go car for 85 cents sat until today. Returned it no problems

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
Car hire
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2019, 23:22. »
Very interesting Times article, in my case i am currently in dispute with Goldcar regarding charges they added without my knowledge or permission. One related to a diesel surcharge despite me not asking or requesting a diesel vehicle. The second being despite us always being full/full i was changed at collection to flexifuel both items written in spanish and hidden within the contract. After my complaint Goldcar have launched a thorough investigation with the sales guy at ALC over the dubious fees. The conclusion surprise surprise was that i requested both items from the smiling assassin at Goldcar sales. As a company they are lower than flotsam. Further i also complained to Do You Spain who have been as much help as a chocolate teapot. The only positive is im now doing a chargeback over the payment taken.

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
Car hire
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2019, 12:02. »

Will let you know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Casa De Valen Med II

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
Car hire
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2019, 14:25. »
September I had a small car from one of the on airport car hire companies, just under £150 for three and a half weeks. I have my own annual car excess policy which I have previously made one claim on, they paid out no problem.