Author Topic: PR Disaster for Ferry Company  (Read 2677 times)

Offline Derek

• Galactic Member
PR Disaster for Ferry Company
« on: April 19, 2020, 09:58. »
It is true that it can take years to build the goodwill of a business but it takes a much shorter time to destroy it.

See here

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.brittany-ferries.co.uk

It is a shame as I have always enjoyed using their ferries from the UK and Spain.

Derek

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 12:34. »
This is disgraceful Derek.

The trustpilot reviews compound the and validate just how bad they are. I am amazed this is legal.

To be honest - I was expecting the same (vouchers) off Ryanair so that they can retain my cash for this fiscal year - vouchers that would have been no good in the short term as I tend to book 6 or 7 return flights when they launch the seasons flights
BeachLife

Offline Sookie

• Galactic Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 00:06. »
We were due to sail with Brittany Ferries on the 13th April Poole to Cherbourg and spend time driving through France and eventually arrive in Spain. We have been given a voucher also that is valid for 2 years. In all fairness we are ok with this as we intend to do the planned trip next year.  But can understand people’s anger. Ours was a one way so perhaps in that sense we are lucky. But time will tell when we try to book for next year.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 00:10. by Sookie »

Offline Sookie

• Galactic Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 00:08. »
This is the email we received.

I'm writing to you today to confirm we have had to cancel your upcoming reservation.

The global Coronavirus pandemic has forced us to take this extraordinary action, which follows governmental guidance to limit potential health risks for passengers and crew. Please note the cost of this cancelled sailing will be refunded by voucher (details below). The voucher is valid for two years and may be redeemed against any future sailing or inclusive holiday with Brittany Ferries.

If you have another sailing similarly impacted we'll contact you under separate cover via email. Please do not call or reply to these emails, we are incredibly busy trying to ensure we make contact with the many thousands of passengers affected. You can find our latest updates at www.brittanyferries.com/coronavirus.

Again, I'm sorry for the inconvenience and disappointment this mail may bring and trust we may be able to welcome you back on board in happier, more settled times in the very near future.

Thank you for your understanding and patience

Offline Derek

• Galactic Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 12:03. »
Hi

I can see at least two problems with the vouchers. If Brittany ferries was to fold due to the losses sustained during the lockdown period the vouchers will be, I assume, worthless. Secondly if they increase the fares to recoup their losses when you next want to book and yes a third of my two concerns what if you no longer wish to go by ferry.

We all hope to be healthy for the next two years but who really knows. Having your money back and then booking if you want to go is a much safer bet. Brittany Ferries would have been wiser, in my view, to offer the choice of a voucher or a refund and by inflating the value of the voucher many would then have freely gone with that option. 

Derek

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 12:32. »
I agree - voucher+ 10% value would have been more acceptable.

What I found with Ryanair when they offered a "free" re-booking service the cost of September flights (even midweek) was significantly more expensive than my cancelled May tickets. So, I'll just take the refund
BeachLife

Offline Sookie

• Galactic Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 14:13. »
They did send a second email offering 25% discount off future bookings but I’m sure there was a certain time scale in which you had to book.  Them  folding is a concern but we are in a situation we can’t really do anything about it.  Not sure if our laws regarding money back due to the company cancelling is reverent as they are a french company.

I have looked at prices for next year and at the moment they are the same price. But that could change at anytime.

The 2nd email from them.

Just a few weeks ago it was unimaginable that the global travel industry could grind to a halt. We prepare ourselves to cope with many types of events that can disrupt international travel, yet no one could have expected the unprecedented situation we find ourselves in. As I write to you, we have but a handful of freight-only sailings operating to keep essential goods flowing.

In recent days, we've received a wealth of thanks and understanding which we simply have to acknowledge. It all makes a huge difference to our teams, working tirelessly to help out everyone affected by this situation.

At the same time, we are aware that many have had their travel plans disrupted, and we are working hard to finalise credit note refunds for the full value of any unused sailings. In these uncertain times we know it can be difficult to contemplate making travel arrangements given the current context, so with that in mind, these travel vouchers will now all be valid for a period of two years. This is the case even if you have received a voucher showing a validity of one year.

Furthermore, in light of the disruption you have experienced we would also like to offer you a saving on future travel when used in combination with the travel voucher(s). A discount of 20% will apply to sailings to France and 15% on travel to Spain when using the exclusive booking link below. And, as we understand you may wish to wait before making new arrangements, we're holding this open until 31 July 2020. This will enable you to take advantage of these savings on travel either later this year or into 2021*.

Offline Derek

• Galactic Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 14:26. »
The only cost effective way to get your money back, if after you have requested a refund and it has been refused, is to insist your credit card company charge it back to them. Credit card companies are legally obliged to refund you if Brittany Ferries refuse to do so. Be careful as there is a time period after which you can not ask them to do so.

Derek

Here is the legal bit;

Under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act, your credit card company is jointly liable if something goes wrong with a product or a service you've paid for by credit card. You can potentially claim for any breach of contract or misrepresentation by the company from which you've bought your goods.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 14:46. by Derek »

Offline Blue and white stripes

• Galactic Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2020, 17:03. »
Like Beachlife I too had to change my May flights with Ryanair. They said I had to book in June, July or August but I wanted to go in September. I thought i'd give it a go and yes, the flights were more expensive than the May flights when I tried to book them via their change booking site. However when I checked the prices with their normal site the September prices were the same so they hadn't hidden the £25 flight change fee in the new prices. So I moved my flights to a different month to what they wanted without paying the change flight fee.

Offline TRIDENT

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2020, 20:33. »
Looks like Ryanair are going the  same route of giving vouchers. No obvious route to get a refund on the web page.

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2020, 12:56. »
We have some flights booked with Mr O'Leary for two weeks on Saturday, the flights, to Palma, are still being sold!! We won't be on it and undoubtedly sometime in the next two weeks Ryanair will announce its cancelation. As a matter of principle we will not be accepting a voucher.
We pay for everything using a credit card, the cash back at the end of the year is always a very pleasant surprise, but we use them for the added protection you get as a consumer.
In around 30 years we've had contact the card companies three times when services/items have not been as described and the companies we dealt with would not resolve the matter, one of these was TUI, on every occasion the money was credited to our account that month and the card company gave the third party three months to dispute the matter, after three months the matter is closed. Non have been disputed.

Regards all

John
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Pewster

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2020, 16:11. »
I must admit , apart from on one occasion when I flew Ryanair because the flight times were convenient I generally pay the little bit extra and use Jet2.

At the time all this kicked off, I had two different return flights and a single one way flight booked for the end of March / beginning of April.

Had e-mail notifications of their cancellation and instruction to reschedule if required, if not, refund would be made within 28 days.

Good as gold , all were refunded in full 28 days later without me needing to so much as write or phone.

Perfect Customer Service.

Offline chris and jackie

• Galactic Member
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2020, 16:51. »
The latest scam from Ryan Air is that after you apply for refund is that they say it's being processed then after a few weeks they send another email saying that you will get vouchers. If you want a cash refund they say you will be putbin he Covid19 cash refund queue to be dealt with after crisis is over!!

Offline Blue and white stripes

• Galactic Member
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2020, 18:01. »
I will always use Ryanair because they fly from BHX and are generally 50% cheaper than Jet2. Recently when I booked the prices were Ryanair £86 return, Jet 2 £176 return. I will also use Britanny Ferries if I want to take my car to Spain as using Eurotunnel (unless you plan to do it none stop in 24 hours) will cost 2 or 3 times as much factoring in hotels, motorway tolls, petrol, food etc.

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2020, 19:48. »
I do 4 round trips from Manchester to GA per year using Eurotunnel (plus pets). Average cost is £550 with £/€ at 1.10 includes tunnel, three stops Airbnb (entire premise). fuel and tolls and I use motorway all the way.
I used Brittany Ferries once and the one way was £613 (it was August) and when you factor in the fuel from GA to Bilbao and an overnight in Bilbao and then fuel from Portsmouth it's more expensive for me that way.
If I do it in two stops I can also be about 2-3 hours in front of the ferry arriving in UK.
Also had ferry cancel on me once due to weather so gave it up.
I suppose it depends on what your driving / time of year /and UK home address.
Dave