Author Topic: PCR or Antigen ?  (Read 2257 times)

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
PCR or Antigen ?
« on: August 06, 2021, 10:01. »
So with all the changes made Weds night to red amber green list one of the little gems thrown in quietly was “ travelling from Spain we now recommend a pcr test”

Anyone going to stop the €40 antigen and go for the €100 pcr ? I for one am not , I’m sick of the govt changing and then changing again the rules . Antigen or lateral flow tests are what millions of school kids , are having 3 times a week , and are in general use in UK .

Perhaps someone can explain the change in advice for Spain because it appears Grant Shapps cannot and has dodged the answer

Boris says he wants us to have all the facts and make up our own minds I plan to do that

Offline Derek

• Galactic Member

Offline Blue and white stripes

• Galactic Member
PCR or Antigen ?
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 10:35. »
As the PCR test is only a recommendation I'm sticking with an antigen test as it's cheaper and quicker.

Offline Derek

• Galactic Member
PCR or Antigen ?
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 11:03. »
Yes that is why I said he was on a different planet as who is going to spend an extra 60 Euros when they do not have to.

Derek

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
PCR or Antigen ?
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 12:24. »
Let's hope it doesn't change.

Just to enquire I went into the clinic at the base of the new hotel. Its a bit tight to get the (PCR) test done and results back with you in time to fly home and still be within the three-day rule. It makes flying home on a Tuesday tricky as they are not open at weekends and the results take 48 hours to get to you (plus its €100)
BeachLife

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
PCR or Antigen ?
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 12:52. »
The government are advising the PCR test but it's advisory not law, so the Antigen is OK, might change in three weeks though.

Offline Aficionado

• Galactic Member
    • Hopper & Co
PCR or Antigen ?
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2021, 15:23. »
Hi, does anyone know if an antigen test remains ok or have the rules changed again? - looking at the Gov website it appears to suggest that it is ok simply by not specifying the type of test needed - but then that might not be right up to date!

All info welcome,

TIA,

Michael.
Mike and Jane Hopper

Offline SueB

PCR or Antigen ?
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2021, 23:03. »
This is what I have just read on the Government Coronovirus website.  It appears that a lateral flow test can be used but only those that meet certain specifications.

TYPE OF TEST

The test must meet performance standards of ≥97% specificity, ≥80% sensitivity at viral loads above 100,000 copies/ml.

This could include tests such as:

a PCR test
a LAMP test
an antigen test, such as an LFD (lateral flow device) test
You must check with your test provider that the test meets the standards. You may not be able to travel if it does not.

Travel from Spain and its islands
If you are travelling to England from Spain, including the Canary Islands and the Balearic Islands (Formentera, Ibiza, Mallorca, Menorca), you are advised to take a PCR type test before travel.

If you have recently had COVID
If you have recently recovered from COVID but are no longer infectious, you should use a lateral flow device (LFD) test. LFD tests have a lower sensitivity than PCR or LAMP tests, so they are less likely to return a positive result from a historic infection. The LFD test must meet the minimum performance standards as set out above.

Sue

Offline Alicante Holiday Villas

• Galactic Member
PCR or Antigen ?
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2021, 12:23. »
Antigen tests are still accepted for travel back to the UK.  8)

The list of clinics, prices etc in GA can be found here https://www.alicanteholidayvillas.com/corona-virus-information

Offline Aficionado

• Galactic Member
    • Hopper & Co
PCR or Antigen ?
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2021, 12:50. »
Thanks both.
Mike and Jane Hopper

Offline Paublo

PCR or Antigen ?
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2021, 16:21. »
Came thru Belfast City airport last week and antigen test accepted. I got antigen test done in doctors at mása square beside were Rodgers bar used to be. 45 euros and had results in 1 hour. You have to leave your passport with them for them to copy your information for cert.

Offline SueB

PCR or Antigen ?
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2021, 09:41. »
I contacted the Salvum Clinic at the Santara Life Resort to check that their Lateral Flow tests meet the required UK Government standards and they have replied that theirs does. 40 Euros and the result in 30 minutes.

Sue

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
PCR or Antigen ?
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2021, 11:58. »
As always a simple test is mired in lack of clarity and confusion reigns. The . Gov site does state the minimum requirements, which would suggest LFT tests exist that don’t meet these. I’ve researched loads and took several outside the Uk and haven’t yet found one that’s not suitable.

Offline Aficionado

• Galactic Member
    • Hopper & Co
PCR or Antigen ?
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2021, 13:11. »
Thanks all.
Mike and Jane Hopper

Offline Alicante Holiday Villas

• Galactic Member
PCR or Antigen ?
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2021, 13:40. »
I contacted the Salvum Clinic at the Santara Life Resort to check that their Lateral Flow tests meet the required UK Government standards and they have replied that theirs does. 40 Euros and the result in 30 minutes.

Sue

For family groups of min 3 people, Salvum are now charging €35 per person  8)